Hens ignoring their roost and sleeping in a pile in the corner

Huskerchickens

Chirping
8 Years
May 24, 2011
I have four hens all about 12 weeks old and when I check on them at night it seems like they're always just sleeping/resting in a pile in the corner of my coop. I have a roost built out of a 2" round post raised up about 6-8" off the floor depending on the litter depth (I built it out of one of those wooden stakes you put on either side of a new tree to support it). I've seen them on the roost from time to time, so they do use it occasionally, but they always just end up in a chickenpile in the corner (kinda cute actually). I'm certainly not worried about it, but I just didn't know if I should try and "encourage" use of the roost.

Thanks!

Put them all on the roost one night and they should stick to it.
big_smile.png
Make sure they are able to get up there also.
bun.gif
welcome-byc.gif
bun.gif

Last edited:
I should also state that I don't think it's a temperature issue. It's getting well in to summer and the night temps here in Colorado are easily in the 60+ degree range.

I started out with one EE and 4 sex links last fall, and they did the same thing. I was really worried, because they were sleeping on the floor well into winter, when it was below 20 deg. I tried going out at night and putting them on the roost, and they would just freak out and fly back down. Around the time they were 4 mos old they started sleeping in the nest boxes, then between 5-6mos, they finally started sleeping on the roost. It was not long at all before they started laying.

Mine slept in a pile like that too when they were that age.

Funny story. I went out to check on them and I have this small hen house where the whole side door opens for cleaning. I slowly opened it and PLOP, my EE fell out. It's only 18 inches off the ground so I knew she was fine. I scooped her up and tucked her back in the house with her sisters but she went and stood on the far side of the hen house and just SCREAMED at me. It was so painful to take. I'm sure I scared the living daylights out of here. But she grew up to be just fine and now roosts at night.

that used to drive me nuts! mine wont roost inside, and will only roost in the run. some will go in the coop during the heat of the day while others are outside, and the hens will go in to lay their eggs, but at night, no way theyll go in. with roosts in the coop, they still stayed out at night and would either pile up, or would sit on anything they could find a few inches off the ground. I just gave up and built em roosts outside.

Back
Top Bottom