Hens in the hood

hensdeliverthegoods

Songster
12 Years
Dec 18, 2007
Catawba County, NC
I picked up my 10 Gold Comet sex-link started pullets today from the hatchery. They look strong, healthy, and surprisingly large for 18 weeks old. The hatchery owner (thanks Roger Shook!) said that he thought a couple of them were laying already! Those little sex-links...egg-laying machines that they are.
big_smile.png

Once I got these new gals home, though, it was quite the drama. I've had two BO and two GLW pullets for a little over a month now. They've been enjoying the good life...large coop and run all to themselves, and very little competition for food. They were hatched and raised in backyard coops before I got them, so they've had a pretty easy life. However, the hatchery birds I just brought home have had to compete for everything so far in their lives, so the difference between the two is just hilarious! My older four just gently graze and forage for food all day long, eating only when they feel like it. When I put the food down for the new birds, it was boarding house rules! They shove each other out of the way and argue over who gets the best spot. They're fast and feisty, and not afraid to challenge one another.
ep.gif

As I watched the two groups, I couldn't help but be put in mind of gangs of "mean girls" and "spoiled rich girls". One group used to their living being easy, and the other group having had to scratch (pardon the pun) for everything they get. Wish me luck for when it's time to blend the two of them. I can almost picture an animated movie being made of the saga - either "Hens in the Hood" or "Coop Side Story". Yikes!
gig.gif

Wow...the hood hens are really showing me the love already! Two pullet eggs from them today, and they've been here barely 24 hours as well as being only 18 weeks old. Guess what they say about sex-links is true.
tongue.png

Oh, and the spoiled girls are taking a stand - Hyacinth the GLW laid down the law when it came time for her to lay in her favorite nest box. Gold-and-white feathers and squawks flew everywhere till she got her way. Then she proudly produced her largest egg yet! Guess she showed the newbies, huh?
lol.png

It's so interesting watching them work out their little micro-society. I can't wait for tomorrow's episode of "Hens in the Hood".
pop.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom