1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens in the nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GPowell, Feb 14, 2014.

1. GPowell

GPowell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2014
    Eastern North Carolina
    Today I went out to do my daily clean of the coop and found 2 of my hens were inside the nesting boxes. Last week I was in the garage and found some of my kids plastic Easter eggs. I took all the tan colored eggs and filled them with sand and taped them together so they wouldn't come apart in the nesting boxes. I put 2 to 3 eggs in each of my 4 nesting boxes. So again I went out this morning and found 2 of the hens inside the nesting boxes. Should I go disturb them and take out the fake eggs or just let them handle their business? Should I be expecting an egg or 2? Or could I be faking them out into thinking that they are their own eggs and made them become broody? How long should I expect them to be inside the nesting boxes? I'm sorry i have all these questions.
    The 2 hens are a Buff Orpington and a Red Comet.

2. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Try putting your hand under them and see what happens. If already have, what do they do? Do they try to peck you? Do they look like they're staring in a glance? Any blinking? Feather ruffling? Do they look like they're flat shaped? (Meaning do they look like they're laying really close to the ground they look like pizza dough. I don't know how to explain that one)

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I think it's a good description!

4. GPowell

Jan 17, 2014
    Eastern North Carolina
    I'm About to walk outside now and snap a few pictures and see what I can see. fingers crossed

5. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    With the breeds I think they are going broody.

6. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Are these pullets? Have they ever laid before?

If they've not laid before, I'm thinking they're "practicing". My girls did much the same before they started to lay.

7. GPowell

Jan 17, 2014
    Eastern North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    This is what they were up to all morning!

8. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Cool!!! I diffidently was off by a ways.
    Is this their first time to lay???

9. GPowell

Jan 17, 2014
    Eastern North Carolina
    This is the first time laying for me. When i got them they had already been laying but went on a bit of a egg laying strike when i got them to there new house.I had my hens for close to 2 months now. All 4 of my hens are a little over a year old. So I been waiting very patiently. Pretty cool Valentine's day present!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by