Hens in the nesting boxes

GPowell

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
Eastern North Carolina
Today I went out to do my daily clean of the coop and found 2 of my hens were inside the nesting boxes. Last week I was in the garage and found some of my kids plastic Easter eggs. I took all the tan colored eggs and filled them with sand and taped them together so they wouldn't come apart in the nesting boxes. I put 2 to 3 eggs in each of my 4 nesting boxes. So again I went out this morning and found 2 of the hens inside the nesting boxes. Should I go disturb them and take out the fake eggs or just let them handle their business? Should I be expecting an egg or 2? Or could I be faking them out into thinking that they are their own eggs and made them become broody? How long should I expect them to be inside the nesting boxes? I'm sorry i have all these questions.
The 2 hens are a Buff Orpington and a Red Comet.

Today I went out to do my daily clean of the coop and found 2 of my hens were inside the nesting boxes. Last week I was in the garage and found some of my kids plastic Easter eggs. I took all the tan colored eggs and filled them with sand and taped them together so they wouldn't come apart in the nesting boxes. I put 2 to 3 eggs in each of my 4 nesting boxes. So again I went out this morning and found 2 of the hens inside the nesting boxes. Should I go disturb them and take out the fake eggs or just let them handle their business?  Should I be expecting an egg or 2? Or could I be faking them out into thinking that they are their own eggs and made them become broody? How long should I expect them to be inside the nesting boxes? I'm sorry i have all these questions.
The 2 hens are a Buff Orpington and a Red Comet.
Try putting your hand under them and see what happens. If already have, what do they do? Do they try to peck you? Do they look like they're staring in a glance? Any blinking? Feather ruffling? Do they look like they're flat shaped? (Meaning do they look like they're laying really close to the ground they look like pizza dough. I don't know how to explain that one)

This is what they were up to all morning!

This is the first time laying for me. When i got them they had already been laying but went on a bit of a egg laying strike when i got them to there new house.I had my hens for close to 2 months now. All 4 of my hens are a little over a year old. So I been waiting very patiently. Pretty cool Valentine's day present!

Back
Top Bottom