Hens keep breaking eggs!! Try milk?

my5hens

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
When hens eat their own eggs. How do you stop them? They cant be stressed over their living arrangement, we spent time and money this past weekend fixing their coop and run. They have nesting boxes, food, water, sun and shade. Today I tried taking a egg and filling it with thick mustard to deter them and no luck, in fact they seemed to enjoy it. (do you have any grey poupon?
sickbyc.gif
)

So I heard from someone a while ago that giving them milk would help for some reason? I cant seem to find any reason why though as to why this would work. The only other reason I can think they would do this is their food. They eat the store lay crumble stuff, plus grass, bugs, and some times I will throw in some spinach for them. I don't want to kill them they are my pets. But I miss the good eggs.

I think the t
When hens eat their own eggs.  How do you stop them?  They cant be stressed over their living arrangement, we spent time and money this past weekend fixing their coop and run.  They have nesting boxes, food, water, sun and shade.  Today I tried taking a egg and filling it with thick mustard to deter them and no luck, in fact they seemed to enjoy it.  (do you have any grey poupon? :sick )

So I heard from someone a while ago that giving them milk would help for some reason?  I cant seem to find any reason why though as to why this would work.  The only other reason I can think they would do this is their food.  They eat the store lay crumble stuff, plus grass, bugs, and some times I will throw in some spinach for them.  I don't want to kill them they are my pets.  But I miss the good eggs. 
I think the theory behind milk is that it adds calcium to help strengthen shells. But if the shells are good the egg eating may be a protein deficiency.

I am in the same boat with the egg eating. I added a big dish of oyster shell and have been trying the mustard egg trick. Yesterday I had one unbroken egg and today I had 5 but of course I was running outside every 20 minutes to check for eggs today. I''ve given my chickens milk and plain yogurt in the past as a treat. Maybe it is supposed to help if there is a calcium or protein deficiency? If you figure out how to curb the egg eating I would love any insights!

I have heard that placing ceramic or wooden eggs in their nest boxes will help. I'll know soon enough, my eggs are getting eaten now.

Sometimes hens will eat the eggs because they are lacking calcium in their diet.

The crave the egg shells for extra calcium - because their bodies are deficient. Laying eggs is a big strain on the bodies and they need the best diet.

Once they crack open the egg, they discover the delicious taste of the egg contents - which encourages them to keep doing it.

Usually its one hen that start the habit, then the other follow on, learning about the good taste of the eggs from her.

Then, even if you give them the best diet, and lots of calcium rich food and additives, they will still want to eat the tasty eggs.

I would make sure their diet is sufficient,
Give them extra calcium, such as oyster shell grit, crushed cuttle fish bone, crushed egg shells, etc.
Make sure you remove any eggs asap, and never leave any laying about for hours - its too much temptation.
Finally, watch your hens - see which ones are the guilty ones.
Take them away from the rest of the flock and give them wooden or plastic eggs and try to break them of the habit. If you do you can put them back with the other hens.

If you can't stop them you might want to change the nest boxes to have wire floors that slope to allow the eggs to roll down and collect in a tough that the chickens can't get to.

Or, you may want to eat you hens - and start again.

@jak2002003 I'm going to keep trying to break the habit for the time being. Thought about putting an egg with the dish soap and dye combo out to figure out the culprit(s). I am thinking about culling, any advice on poultry butchery?

Back
Top Bottom