Hens killed and ate other hens

You mentioned that the run is totally enclosed, meaning a wire over the top too? Still, depending on what size wire you used a mink could still gain entry and kill the three. Doesn't seem likely that they were killed by the older hens considering the age of those killed. Be on guard tho, if it was a predator of some sort it will most likely be back unless it was just passing thru. So sorry for your loss, now to start all over again...

If the older chickens were still chasing the younger chickens around and the younger ones were going to their own run at night, then I would say that they hadn't accepted them into the flock, yet. I think when it was time to go to roost, the older chickens could have killed the younger chickens that tried to invade their roosting space. If it was a predator, why kill just the younger ones and not the older ones, if they were all in the same space? I would look at the run security, just to make sure, but it seems like an awfully big coincidence.

It's so much easier to just get all the chickens you want all at once, rather than adding them in later. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I'm not really sure what you should do, at this point. If you cull them, you'll still need to get more chickens, right? Can you get any that are close to the age of the 3 week olds? Even day olds would only be a few weeks behind. When they were closer in size, you could combine those flocks. Young pullets hopefully wouldn't be as aggressive as more mature hens.

We believe it was a raccoon who got the girls. Upon a second and intense inspection we discovered a hole up in the roof netting. And in the lawn next to the chicken run one of the sprinklers was dug out and a muddy hole where it once was--and raccoon prints! We replaced the run roof netting with part solid roof and wire screen today. I had checked the run yesterday for any holes, etc., but someone was determined to get in.
sad.png

Thanks again for the responses.

I would agree, most likely a predator, but don't expect them to have wondered in through some great big gapping hole.

When I first moved my chickens into my barn, I thought that they would be safe enough in the coop. And it was very secure, with 5 beagles also living in the barn, I thought my chicks would be safe...but not so... the rats attacked them. Big rats that I later killed, but the rats were able to squeeze through the fencing and got the young chicks.
I don't have rats in the barn now, these ones had been there for a while and were larger than life. My landlord later told me that he used to have the same problem with the rats when he kept rabbits in the barn.
I am not saying that yours were killed by man eating rats... but you would be surprised at how small a predator can get when they want to eat! And Racoons are pretty darn smart... so just be aware!

I have pesonally never seen a lot of activity after dark with my ladies. I have on two different occasions introduced new hens with older ones at night by putting them on the same roost and did not have a problem during the night. The next day was a different story but at night I don't think chicken behavior would have them battling. Just my two cents. I like the others "think" you had a totally seperate predation problem from the older ladies.

Also consider that standards and bantams do not mix well. I am sorry for your loss, I have Barred rocks in one run, silkies in another, and have Buff Orp chicks in a brooder. I will eventually integrate the Orps in with the Barred Rocks.

But I do think that you have a predator, and they will return lookingfor easy pickings again. do you have hardware cloth around the lower portion of your run? Pics of where you keep them would be helpful.

Last edited:
I think it was a crime of opportunity. The predator only got them because they were locked out of their regular roost, and afraid to go in with the older hens into the other roost. They tried sleeping outside and got nabbed. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom