Hens Laying Lifespan

CountryBoy72

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 27, 2009
Vancouver Island
How long does every one keep there laying hens ? I'm interested mostly in heritage breeds but, curious about all breeds ? Do you just cull out the old ones ? I'm assuming they will lay for a long time just not at there optimum and peak output, will cost you more to feed than they give in return. 2-4 Years and would four be really pushing it ?

profitability ends at about 2 yr's, i think large companies cull them younger than that. You may be able to break even for a while after, or you could let nature do the culling and let the birds free range, within 3 yr's none of the original bird's will still be around...

Hi! I have three 4-year-old Delawares and this winter they started laying about half of their normal output for the first time, but as soon as the days got longer, they are all laying daily again. I do not plan to cull them as I am attached to them and have spent a lot of time interacting with them so it would just be too hard. Chicken feed is cheap so I'll let them retire here. My friend has 5 Rhode Island Reds still laying at least 3 eggs a week and they are 7 years old.

Last edited:
I HAVE A ROHDE ISLAND RED HEN SHE IS ABOUT 6 YEARS OLD WE CALL HER GRANDMA
old.gif

I DO NOT KNOW IF SHE LAY , SHE JUST A FUNNY OLD BIRD WITH A BIG ATTITUDE.
THE OTHER DAY WHEN I WAS FEEDING SOME GRAIN ,I THRU IT OUT FOR THEM TO STRATCH WELL SHE LOOK AT ME MOVE BACK AND RAN UP THE INCLINE OF THE YARD. BY HER LOOK I UNDERSTOOD SHE WAS DISAPOINTED I THRU IT SO FAR
CRAZY BUT THAT WHY WE HAVE CHICKENS
lol.png

I keep all my old birds, I let them free range to control insects, etc. My hens usually lay pretty well until they are 4, then sometimes I see a slight decline in the number of eggs. Each year after production goes down or becomes sporadic (on average). However, some of my birds have laid 5 eggs a week until they were 6 or so... You may want to experiment and see what your breed does for you before you decide what age to cull.

Back
Top Bottom