Hens laying on side

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yellowchick, Apr 9, 2009.

1. yellowchick

yellowchick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2008
    C, Arkansas
    yesterday when letting the chickens out, 3 of my hens would hold one wing half way out and wiggle down and lay on their sides. Is this a sign they are fixing to start laying? I have one hen laying, the others haven't started yet. If either one of the roos seen them laying down he would go over to them and nudge them up.

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    they are sunning themselves. [​IMG] First time I saw one of my hens lying on her side I thought she was dead. They love to soak up the sun and roll in a dust bowl.

3. wundernurse

wundernurse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Atlanta
    sounds like what my hens look like when they are giving themselves a dust bath. Were they in some loose dirt getting it all over themselves?

4. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    yup... sounds like they are getting a "tan" laying in the sun..

5. chickencoop31320

chickencoop31320 Have bator, will hatch

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Georgia
    My silkies do that when it's dry and pretty out.
    They're dusting themselves.

[​IMG]

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

It always freaks my kids out, when the hens do that... we'll come home, and all of our chickens are just Laying there... like they're dead... but they are just fluffing dust and dirt into their feathers, and then soaking up the sun. Silly hens! So no, they are not 'laying', but they are LAYING.... in the dirt...

7. yellowchick

yellowchick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2008
    C, Arkansas
    ok thanks...they wern't moveing around to dust themselves and even one was on top of the wood pile and did the same thing. Nice to know it's normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by