Hens leg is hurt! She cannot walk!

Cluck17

Songster
Jun 24, 2018
Pennsylvania
Help! My Rhode Island Red cannot walk! She does move her foot and hops on one leg. She is very calm and sitting here with me. I can move her leg, not causing her to freak out. She is not putting any pressure on it. What should I do? It is her leg sticking out awkwardly that is the problem. She is about 2 years old and nothing like this has ever happened. Please help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 9
Sorry about your chicken. So at present, she can get up and walk some? Does she hold the sore leg up, or does she try to put it down when she walks? Can you look over her footpad for any bumblefoot scabs or cut, and the entire leg for swelling, bruising, and redness? Hopefully, she has sprained her leg, and resting it for a couple of weeks might help. She needs to be near food and water, and prevented from jumping up and down from a roost. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks disease?

She hasn’t tried to walk. If she stood up She lifts her foot and sits back down. She is laying down in a box with food and water. She seems comfortable. I don’t believe she has been vaccinated for mareks. When I touch her leg she does not react.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 6
Have you added any new chickens to your flock in the last few months? Does she still lay eggs? How long has she been showing these symptoms? You may want to check her for being eggbound by inserting a finger inside her vent an inch or two to feel for a stuck egg. Chicken slings may be used to get her up and in front of food and water, and she can be removed often to sleep and move around. Here is a link of examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

I would read a few of these articles about Mareks disease just in case that is what is bothering her:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

I have had all the same chickens for awhile no additions. She laid eggs about 5 months ago. Then she went into a molt and hasn’t laid since. But all three of my RIR have not laid for awhile either. These symptoms appeared this morning when she couldn’t walk and was laying down. I will check it she is egg bound and read the articles. Thank you so much!

Egg binding can rarely sometimes cause leg weakness. Hopefully, she has an injury that might get better with rest. I would try to pick her up occasionally to see if she is able to stand. It probably would not hurt to give her some vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily crushed onto food.

Help! My Rhode Island Red cannot walk! She does move her foot and hops on one leg. She is very calm and sitting here with me. I can move her leg, not causing her to freak out. She is not putting any pressure on it. What should I do? It is her leg sticking out awkwardly that is the problem. She is about 2 years old and nothing like this has ever happened. Please help!
Bumblefoot can cause limping, check for tell tale sign under pad of foot also check the whole leg to see if there are any hot areas which would show injury, that is what my vet did

Back
Top Bottom