Hens like to lightly peck me all over

Anath

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 6, 2013
Madeline Ilsand
I have four hens about 7 months old. They have begun this annoying habit of following me around and as I walk stand anything they peck at me. It doesn't hurt but today one went for my eye. What can I do to break them of this?

Chickens have beaks, they're made for pecking things. Sounds like they quite like you
1f60a.png

Try tossing down a treat, give them something else to pick at. Or stomp your feet when they start being obnoxious. I've had birds that would try to fly onto my head or into the feed bucket or even sit on my feet, its cute but makes it a little difficult to get things done. Good luck!

Well for starters don't put your eyeball within reach lol! They are young and likely just curious and that is how chickens investigate things, with their beaks. They will probably grow out of this stage soon. If you often hand feed treats that may encourage this behavior as well.

Definitely keep your face out of beak range. Also a good time to warn folks about allowing small children to interact with chicks/chickens without direct supervision. Children are apt to put faces in harm's way without thinking about the possible consequences. I have a EE who loves to get behind me and pick the back of my calf. It doesn't matter if I am wearing jeans, or shorts, she finds my calves irresistible.

I've noticed that the dominant birds don't let the less dominant peck at them. And the less dominant dont peck on the more dominant. That said, I've started a practice of anticipating the pecks, and immediately "pecking" them back with a finger or tapping them with a toe. If timed properly, they are smart enough to learn not to peck, pretty quick too. Dont be at the bottom of the pecking order. I wear shorts all the time, and I'm done being startled by the little peckers.

Back
Top Bottom