Hens missing neck feathers

baileybiddi

Chirping
Feb 2, 2023
I have a few hens with missing neck feathers. It was a rough winter here and they were cooped in more than usual. I think it started out of boredom but now they have plenty of free range time and things to do but for some hens their feathers won’t grow back. I’ve tried Rooster Booster pick-no-more cover up lotion but I’ve noticed some of the girls like to eat the lotion😂 I’ve considered pinless peepers but I don’t know who the culprit is (if there is just one). Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_5484.jpeg
    IMG_5484.jpeg
    630.7 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_5485.jpeg
    IMG_5485.jpeg
    560.6 KB · Views: 16
Are you saying one of the hens is pulling the neck feathers off the others? Besides that, if there is bleeding, apply Blu-Kote instead of lotion (it is designed for livestock/poultry and they can't pick it off)

It probably started from overzealous grooming. Doesn't really hurt the birds any to be missing neck feathers, but if it bothers you, makes most sense to use peepers on the birds that don't have damage, as those are the more likely culprits.

Feathers that are broken won't come back in until molt.
Looks like they are suffering from some feather picking. You can try NuStock cream to see if that deters the pickers, sometimes it's just a bad habit.

Do look them over for lice and mites to make sure that's not the reason the others are grooming them so closely.

I agree, it is probably feather picking, but out of curiosity do you have a port type feeder they have to stick their heads in to eat out of? I had one that would break feather off in that exact spot. But only on certain breeds (my RSLs). Once I fixed the edges on the port (& broke the habit of one picker that started because of it) all was well.

It probably started from overzealous grooming. Doesn't really hurt the birds any to be missing neck feathers, but if it bothers you, makes most sense to use peepers on the birds that don't have damage, as those are the more likely culprits.
Have you used the pinless peepers? I’m nervous about putting them on and taking them off.

I have, don't be nervous. It's much easier with 2 people, have one hold the bird while one puts on the peepers. Soak them (the peepers, not the bird, lol) in very hot water, it makes them more pliable. It took me a try or 2 to get it right.

Back
Top Bottom