Hens missing with out a trace

waltja02

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
We have lost 3 of our hens in the last four days. We let them free range during the day and lock em in the coop at night. The hens that went missing were a year old wyandott and 2 barred rocks. The rest of the flock started making noise around 7ish which is still pretty daylight out. We go right out and do a head count and notice a missing hen.

We have walked our property and some of the neighbors. We have not found a single feather from any of the birds. We also have not found a body.

Anyone have any ideas on what is taking our birds? And how do we stop it without confining them?

Some coyotes are pretty good at snagging bird without much feather loss. Typical fox does not make an outright kill or capture resulting in feather trail and large relative size of bird forces fox to reposition bite to pack catch away. Bobcat tends to deliver some serious biting right after grabbing and both process tend to dislodge at least some feathers. Dogs are incredibly inconsistent; some mutilate and leave carcass, some make a mess then take carcass and consume it elsewhere and some are like a coyote leaving almost no sign.

Expand your search radius.

Every time I have had mysterious missing chickens (that hadn't gone off to be broody somewhere), it ended up being a fox. Sometimes they'd leave feathers, sometimes not. If it is a four legged predator, you'll have to confine or get better fencing (I chose to put up electric netting, no more fox!).

Well i finally figured out what it was. I was able to catch a fox in the act. Needless to say it wont be coming back to get any more of my chickens

Back
Top Bottom