Hens NOT eating layer pellets

On occasion all our feed store has left is the organic scratch so sometimes my girls go a few days just on that... they're in hog heaven when it happens (maybe twice a year) and then hate when I go back to their pellets but I just take the scratch away cold turkey until they're eating their pellets again and then sparingly give them the scratch until it's gone. It really is like candy to them.

So glad to see your chickens are eating their pellets.
I have the same problem at this time.
I just tried wetting their pellets and mixed with a small amount of pureed ham heated to bring out the meat smell.
The girls went crazy over it, then in seconds, refuse to eat it.
They have been throwing their feed pellets on the ground.
I'm going to restrict their access to the feeder and see if they get hungry enough without any treats.
No more coddling them. I'm going to tough love!
Thank you all for you contributions to this posting. You've helped educate and encourage!
Regards...

So glad to see your chickens are eating their pellets.
I have the same problem at this time.
I just tried wetting their pellets and mixed with a small amount of pureed ham heated to bring out the meat smell.
The girls went crazy over it, then in seconds, refuse to eat it.
They have been throwing their feed pellets on the ground.
I'm going to restrict their access to the feeder and see if they get hungry enough without any treats.
No more coddling them. I'm going to tough love!
Thank you all for you contributions to this posting. You've helped educate and encourage!
Regards...
Well, the girls cleaned up their pans after I stopped watching. I'm so glad. I was beginning to think the food was bad.
I bought crumbles this time. They are eating that without a problem.
Thank you for the water suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom