hens not getting along all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mpanoherring, Mar 27, 2011.

1. mpanoherring

mpanoherring New Egg

Mar 27, 2011
    We have belgian bearded and silikie chickens. one of our hens, disappeared two days ago and we assumed it had been taken by one of the many hawks in our area. she showed up yesterday but quickly left and wasn't around to be put up in the coop at night. today, she returned and was clearly not welcome back by the rest of the hens. the hens all picked on her and when she had the opportunity she picked fights with them. when we went to put them up in the evening, she ran away clearly afraid to join the rest of the hens in the coop. this has never happened before. the hens typically get along and occasionally will peck each other. will this pass? or should i move this hen to another farm so that the other hens don't hurt her? any advice is appreciated. thanks, M

2. louloubean

louloubean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    OC, NY
    ours go through phases like that.
    i think they get over it. hope it works out for you.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Hmm. I think you may have a broody on your hands. See if you can watch where she goes; I bet she's got a clutch of eggs off somewhere that's she's trying to incubate.

Our broodies act like they have world class PMS; all the other hens try to give them a wide berth.

4. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    I would suspect a broody as well. Btw, if you take any flock member away for a while (like to the county fair, for example), The Peck Order Force gets disturbed, and they all feel the disturbance in The Force.

Bryan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by