Hens not laying at 22 weeks. Normal??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickchix, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Chickchix

Chickchix Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    Hi there. We have our first chickens ever. Got them when they were 1 day old, and now they're about 22 weeks. They're not laying, and I was wondering if that's normal. They have 3 nesting boxes with shavings in their coop. We're still feeding them the grower pellets since I thought you didn't feed layer until they were actually laying. Could this be why? Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks!!

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Maybe they just need longer. Only 3 of my 6 chickens are laying eggs, and they are 22 weeks and 3 days old. Do they go in the nest boxes or do they squat when you pet them?

3. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Someone with a lot more knowledge than me will pop in sooner or later. Here's what I can share. Some breeds lay earlier than others. Mine are all 19 weeks. Only one red star is laying. I know which one is laying because her comb is bigger and much redder than the other pullets. I wouldn't worry yet. I have switched mine to layer pellets because of the one that is laying. It hasn't sped things up for the others yet!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Some of mine never laid 1 egg until 32 weeks or more. They are no different than human females. Every cycle can be unique.

5. sfcityfarmer

sfcityfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    Only one of my four chickens is laying, they're 23 weeks old. The one that is laying started on Friday of last week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by