Cherissa

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2020
I recently lost my biggest hen suddenly, with no signs of illness or trauma. She just kinda dropped dead. Since she died, my other Rhode Island Red has stopped laying. She doesn’t have any symptoms of being egg bound and has been eating normally. My other two Easter Eggers are still laying daily. Could this be stress induced by the sudden loss of the head hen? I don’t want to lose another chicken.

Did you have a necropsy done?
Any change is stressful to chickens.
The problem is likely loss of a friend which is stressful. Stress prevents ovulation.
How old was the hen and what do your chickens eat?

How old are you chickens? ( they could get to the age where they stop laying) I don't know anything else to say
-Lauren :)

Did you have a necropsy done?
Any change is stressful to chickens.
The problem is likely loss of a friend which is stressful. Stress prevents ovulation.
How old was the hen and what do your chickens eat?

She would have been 4 years old in July. They eat soy free organic feed and leftovers that are safe for them consume.

How old are you chickens? ( they could get to the age where they stop laying) I don't know anything else to say
-Lauren :)
Thanks for your reply. I wish I had the answers. It was so sad to lose one so suddenly. The hens will be 4 in July.

What state are you in?
My birds are extremely valuable because of rarity and not because I love them. It is imperative I have a necropsy done to know if I need to do anything for the rest of the birds.
Mine are more like pets. In live in VA. There were no obvious signs of illness. She too had stopped laying and I thought maybe she became egg bound which is a new term to me after having done some research. I’m just not sure what happened and with all else going on in the world, I’m not sure having a necropsy done would’ve been an option. I’ve checked my other Rhode Island for signs of being egg bound and she has no signs. I’m guessing it’s maybe stress. I’ve been sure to give them lots of free range time in hopes that’ll settle their nerves. They eat their feed year around.

Back
Top Bottom