Hens not laying

Geauxchag

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2021
Kansas City
Ok this spring I decided to hatch some chicks. I had a total of seven hens and a rooster that visited occasionally from my neighbors yard. I hatched nine. About a month ago I realized that I had the cockerels so I got rid of them. My hens had really slowed down on laying but it was hot so I wasn’t worried. A week ago I figured out that I had three more cockerels and hens weren’t laying. I figured it was because there were too many cockerels around so I got rid of those three. So now I’m down to my original seven plus three pullets that haven’t started laying yet. My hens still won’t lay. I’m not really sure why they won’t lay!! I haven’t changed their diet. I’ve taken the stressor away from the coop. Any suggestions about what I can do next? I can’t seem to figure this puzzle out.

Thanks, Mary

Your hens may be molting. When they molt, they don’t lay. They are making feathers, which are nearly all protein. So, you can give them a higher protein feed right now since they are not laying.

Also, light is decreasing. Even blind chickens are impacted by light bc there is a pineal gland in their head that senses light. Decreasing light tells them: “slow down or stop laying and molt for new feathers”. You can add light on a timer to give them 14-15 hours total light in their day. Generally, earlier morning it’s on, then off mid-afternoon so they roost at natural sundown. But, if you don’t add light it is typical for a chicken to take a longer break, even after molt, until light starts to increase after late January.

Acre4Me above me hit everything on the head that I would say, only thing I would add is if they are of age to lay then maybe they are laying in a place you cant see and possibly eating their own eggs. If you've seen them lay before but now all of a sudden they stopped, look around for either a hidden nest or look for signs of broken/consumed eggs, like small bits of shell or yolk. I have some little egg bandits myself..so I know chickens like to eat their own eggs

Back
Top Bottom