Hens not laying

Chicken__Tender

In the Brooder
May 4, 2023
I have 4 hens that just turned 2. All of them were laying daily. I had switched them to a locally produced feed but then switched them to a "feather fixer" higher protein layer crumble because My rooster is hard on them. Well needless to say after the switch all but one stopped laying. Then 1 started laying again but stopped again.We've used that food in the past and had no problems. Tried switching them to the Purina layer crumbles thinking their systems didn't like the feather fixer and its been Over a month and still no one is laying eggs. Just occasionally one will. Tried adding oysters shells and that doesn't help. Considering going back to the local feed but I hate to keep switching them. Is this really what is causing them to stop laying? Do I need to give it more time on this food? No signs of illness or parasites.

What has their laying cycle been like? Did they lay all winter?

Breaks are natural, but you do want to get curious and see if something is up. I'm not sure that changing feed would have that massive of an effect, but maybe I have just never seen it.

Oh, and they are having 100% uninterrupted water that is fresh enough that you see them drinking? Mine stopped laying for a while because they were sneakily not drinking from the waterer in their run.

Feed doesn't affect laying unless it's completely nutritionally deficient, and you'd notice the other dozen extreme side-effects to that.
Have you checked for hidden nests? Molting? Anything new in the area? Noises, lights, predators?

What has their laying cycle been like? Did they lay all winter?

Breaks are natural, but you do want to get curious and see if something is up. I'm not sure that changing feed would have that massive of an effect, but maybe I have just never seen it.

Oh, and they are having 100% uninterrupted water that is fresh enough that you see them drinking? Mine stopped laying for a while because they were sneakily not drinking from the waterer in their run.
They molted in the fall and then pretty much laid all winter. Not daily but atleast few times a week. I did notice the one had laid some eggs without shells after the switch so thought they needed more calcium but then she stopped laying all together. And another one had really large eggs, sometimes weird shaped after the switch but I just thought it was the extra protein. But then she also stopped laying :hmm

Feed doesn't affect laying unless it's completely nutritionally deficient, and you'd notice the other dozen extreme side-effects to that.
Have you checked for hidden nests? Molting? Anything new in the area? Noises, lights, predators?
Okay, I'm sure these aren't nutritionally deficient feeds. No hidden nests and they all molted last fall. Nothing new that I can figure out and they're totally protected from predators.

They molted in the fall and then pretty much laid all winter. Not daily but atleast few times a week. I did notice the one had laid some eggs without shells after the switch so thought they needed more calcium but then she stopped laying all together. And another one had really large eggs, sometimes weird shaped after the switch but I just thought it was the extra protein. But then she also stopped laying :hmm
Feather fixer only has slightly more protein than normal layer, 17% unless yours is different. Still not quite adequate imo.
How old are these birds?

3rd
What breeds are they? If they didn't take a break their first winters, they might be taking one now.
2 are golden comets and 2 are Easter Eggers. That would make sense. I just thought it was odd how it all started when I switched their feed. Also, you mentioned about 17% protein not being adequate, what % do you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom