hens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by duckduckchicken, Sep 22, 2009.

1. duckduckchicken

duckduckchicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2009
    NH
    My 5 girls have stopped laying eggs. They are getting 12 hrs of sun and I have just added another hour of artificial. What is going on ? We live in N.H. and I am wondering if the day lenghs are changing them. I noticed they are freaking out earlier each night and want to go in. Please help-
    The Eggless Family

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    How old are they? Are they molting? The kind and how many eggs you were getting might also be helpful information to get some help figuring it out. It's really frustrating to have hens and no eggs!

3. duckduckchicken

duckduckchicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2009
    NH
    5 Australorps about 8 months old and no molting yet. I moved there coop a lil closer for winter and they all stoped laying. It has been 8 days now.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This link discusses why hens might stop laying. You know more about your hens than any of is. You might pick up on something that you would never think to tell us.

Virginia Tech – Stopped Laying
    http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/2902/2902-1097/2902-1097.pdf

Two common causes of hens stopping laying is that they are hiding the nest from you or they are eating their own eggs.

Moving the coop like you did may have stresed them. When hens are relocated, they often stop laying. Usually they will lay the next day after a move since that egg was already in the egg factory, but subsequent eggs don't start. They have to get comfortable in their new surroundings to start laying again.

Some hens do stop laying when it gets colder. Fewer hours of daylight could start a molt, which can stop them laying.

Someone could be stealing the eggs.

Something (skunk, rat, possum) may be eating the eggs. May be too cold for a snake in NH.

I'm probably missing a few possible causes.

Good luck!

5. epsmarla

epsmarla New Egg

Feb 11, 2012
    Thank-you Ridgerunner. The link and your reply were very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by