Hens on Strike ?

chinacatsunflower

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 6, 2010
I am new to the forum and have search several pages back and didn't see anything on this ... i am new to having chickens and a neighbor was asking me questions about his chickens. He has 3 hens and a rooster, they are at least a year old. He recently added 3 pullets into the coop and hasn't seen an egg since ... why would this be ? thanks in advance ...

welcome-byc.gif

The pecking order has been disrupted. Any time a new chicken is added or subtracted from an existing flock, they need to start all over establishing the pecking order. This can be very stressful and can effect laying. Once everything is all figured out, the eggs will start up again.

Another unsettling thought is that one of the pullets is an egg-eater. I doubt it though but it's something to keep in the back of your mind.

how long could that take ?? I myself had 8 pullets all born in april, in august i added 2 more pullets that were around the same age and recently i added a roo that is also around the same age. the 2 new pullets and the roo WILL NOT even attempt to go into the coop. I am worried bc it will be getting cold soon and that is the only shelter i have for them. They sleep outside. they have gotten to the point where when i feed them the old girls no longer chase the newbies or the roo but i figured this had to do with the pecking order I have picked them up and put them in the coop and all was well but they won't go in on there own. how long before its all settled ??

I am having the same problem.new chicks,But I have them seperate.I also live in florida and I put sun shade on help with the heat could that be it?But I haven't had an egg in a week.Bummer.

Back
Top Bottom