1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens only using one nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Texas Willie, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Texas Willie

Texas Willie Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Washington
    While, it doesn't really make a difference, I am wondering why our hens are only using one of our 5 nesting boxes.

In fact, this morning one hen waited patiently for another to vacate the box before getting in and promptly laying her egg! [​IMG]

TW [​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Because they are silly? [​IMG] I think that they think that if someone else is there then it must be the best place ever.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    For some reason they just do, I have a new rotation of layers and when they started laying they all layed in the same box, then if the first one to lay that day go's to another box to lay they all follow suit. and I have 24 boxes in that coop to choose from.

4. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Mine are only using 2/4 boxes, and one consistently lays on the floor. Ironically, they use the two boxes that I didn't put fake eggs in...

5. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I have 6 girls that are laying and ironically they all use a different nest box. I expeceted them to all use the same one but it seems wherever they laid their first egg is now where they lay all of their eggs. Go figure mine had to be different.

6. Longhorns&Chickens

Longhorns&Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    [​IMG] chickens are soo wierd! Mine have their favorites, but I really think a few of them rotate through our five nest boxes. She lays one on the end one day and thenin the second the next, and the third, the next. I don't know may be it is just a random layer, but they just have to keep trying them all out! Then some days I'll get one egg in one nest and 4 in another, there is no consistancy here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by