1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens pecking at the kids

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crazymama4, Jul 16, 2011.

1. crazymama4

crazymama4 New Egg

May 9, 2011
    We have 8 chickens that are about 10 weeks old. The kids have held them and fed them nearly every day since we first got them. They have been in an outdoor coop/run for about a month, and now when my girls go into the run, the chickens try to peck at their toes, clothes, etc. The girls are becoming afraid of the chickens they love! What's going on? Is it because they are used to the kids scattering grass and blueberries and such? Are they "demanding" food? How can I stop this behavior? [​IMG]

2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I think chickens peck at just about anything that looks edible. Mine peck at dark spots on my skin, lint on my clothes, earrings(!) but it is not agressive. also, they seemed to go through a stage around 10 weeks when they were worse at it. I don't feed them food from my palm anymore because the roo pecks too hard. I can imagine tiny painted toenails and sparkles on clothing would be awfully tempting to a chicken. However, my chicks dont peck at outstretched fingers, etc. like a parrot would.

3. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I wanted to add that if the pecking seems to be aggression, some folks advise "pecking back" at the chicken, giving him a flick with a finger on his beak.

4. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I've got 14 Silkies that are only 3 wks old and if you stick your hand into their brooder it's a massacre. I've never seen babies animals act that way :-O They'll twist and pull your skin thinking it's food (I'm assuming). Although they've got plenty of food and water always available. I separated then and when there's only 4 or 5 at a time they act completely different and run up to my hand and try to get picked up. It's almost like a frenzied pack mentality when they're all together. Like when dogs gang up together and take down livestock they'd never bother if they were alone. I've had about every other kind of animal but this is my 1st time having more than a couple chickens.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    They are just being chickens.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    This is completely normal! I always make sure I wear my crocs and NOT flip flops in the coop! The chickens are always picking my clothes, especially the clothes with designs. Nail polish in finger nails attracts the girls to peck! I even had my earring pecked out of my ear and my chick ate it. Chickens peck at everything. If they think it's food, they peck even harder. Sometimes they might try and bite it. It's never out of aggression. The kids always treat the girls with respect and they also wear closed toed shoes. The chickens love shiny objects also. I bring in towels with me to put on my lap. This is so I don't get pooped on and the last towel had a funky design, I was crowded with all 8 chickens investigating the towel and they were pecking the towel like crazy.

The chickens are very curious and use their beak to investigate.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

To investigate something, little kids would have their hands all over whatever it is. Dogs use their noses, tongues, and sometimes a paw to investigate things or people. The only thing a chicken has to investigate something with is their beak. [​IMG] So when they want attention, food, or just to find out what the heck something is, they peck. As was mentioned earlier, if you feel that a particular bird is being overly demanding, you can "peck" her back smartly with your index finger.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chickens peck at one another. It's their nature. These chickens regard your children as members of the flock. There are "non violent" means of assuring them that you are dominant. If those don't work, I recommend long pants and sleeves and no flip flops in the run.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by