Hens picking on young cockerel

Shamo Hybrid

Crowing
Jun 6, 2018
My young Shamo cockerel is getting picked on by the 2 old hags (Oriental Gamefowls)...... do you think with time that my Shamo male will grow some ballz and defend himself and show his dominance? He's acting like a wuss and afraid to stay within a feet of the 2 hags but when he accidentally gets too close, the 2 hens will peck at him. He's about 5-6 months old I want to say, so he isn't actually a baby anymore plus being the tall Shamo variety that he is, he's already bigger than the 2 hens and could probably hold his own but he's just acting like a big errrrr..... chicken!

That's it right there! He is NOT dominant yet. He must mature and earn his stripes like any other flock leader. It is going to take time.
Leave them be to sort things out as long as no blood is drawn.

Good Advice, DobieLover!:goodpost:
See how things go, and let your cock establish his position himself, although it may take time!:old

That is what I want to happen. I too have a juvenile rooster growing up in a flock of 15, with an older rooster. He is low man on the pole, and that is a very good place for him to be. Multi-generational flocks have the most accurate chicken society.

Too many times a rooster is raised with just pullets, becomes bigger and quickly becomes a bully.

Just wait, is good advice, not sure where you are from, but here we are going into winter, come the spring, things will be different. The old rooster will be gone, the sap will be rising, and things will be just fine for him.

Mrs K

My young Shamo cockerel is getting picked on by the 2 old hags (Oriental Gamefowls)...... do you think with time that my Shamo male will grow some ballz and defend himself and show his dominance? He's acting like a wuss and afraid to stay within a feet of the 2 hags but when he accidentally gets too close, the 2 hens will peck at him. He's about 5-6 months old I want to say, so he isn't actually a baby anymore plus being the tall Shamo variety that he is, he's already bigger than the 2 hens and could probably hold his own but he's just acting like a big errrrr..... chicken!

Shamo, Asil, and Malay, chickens (Collectively known as "Oriental" chickens or pea combed fowl) are notoriously slow to mature or become 'cocky'. Never fear eventually these birds will find their courage and exert themselves as flock masters. This sometimes takes up to 18 months.

Mediterranean or 'straight combed' chickens (all chickens originated in Asia) sometimes find their courage or manhood in 6 months or less. The name "Mediterranean" is used because these are the kind of chickens that the French kept when Julius Caesar concurred Gaul. The scientific name for chickens, Gallus Gallus Domesticus is a reflection of this connection to the Roman Provence of Gaul. The Romans fought Gladiators but the French campaigned chickens. So I guess in todays terms that means that the Roman Empire was kinder and gentler than the French.

I'm thinking about taking him out and completely isolating him from the rest of the chickens. I think leaving him in there being bossed around is not good for his manhood, I want him to grow up tough. I think a few months of isolation shall bring out that fighter gene in him!

Back
Top Bottom