Hens possibly injured, strange wobbling?

Woodswoman

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2023
About every other day one of my six hens, two Rhode Island Reds and four Jersy Black Giants, will have trouble standing up, when laying down their legs stick out sideways to the side and claws are curled under. When they do stand they wobble forward and backward. At first I thought this was because they were injured by the rooster, but now it seems to be associated with egg laying. Every time one of them gets this way basically has trouble standing and even eating, beaks don't want to open enough, the egg comes out soft. When they don't have this trouble they have normal hard eggs. It still could have been an injury from the rooster, he's a big Rhode Island Red but I am not sure what to do. The hen that gets this way usually takes a whole day to lay the egg, then after laying it recovers fairly quickly. The hens are not even a year old yet. Thank you

What are you feeding them? Are they getting crushed oyster shell for extra calcium? Can you temporarily pen the rooster? Could they have gotten into something poisonous or moldy?

What are you feeding them? Are they getting crushed oyster shell for extra calcium? Can you temporarily pen the rooster? Could they have gotten into something poisonous or moldy?
They all get fermented wheat and barley. Cornmeal mixed with flax and kelp. Various fruits and vegetables, calcium carbonate grit and granite grit, some type of protein daily like fried eggs with eggshells, fish, dried insects. Water has apple cider vinegar drops added. No mold, no poisons anywhere. The rooster we keep separate now. I thought of taking one to the vet when it happens for an X-ray because it seems like something moves out of place but the vet, I couldn't hardly believe this, wanted 300-500.00 for a visit depending on length of examination.

Back
Top Bottom