Hens Refusing Pellets

Mine refused pellets so I tricked them...I would throw them a handful on the ground. I did it for a week our so they thought it was a treat.. Then made the switch... Worked fine for me..
frow.gif

Pellets are usally seen to waste less feed. And chickens dont normally like them unless they are raised on them.

Chickens dont take kindly to any sort of change in their environment, including their feed.

If you have some crumbles, wean them onto the pellets slowly by mixing the two. Give less crumbles as you go until they are on pellets alone.

Or do as the others say and just lay the pellets to 'em. Sooner or later they'll eat 'em.

my hens were the same as everyone else's they refused the pellets. so i started mixing them with the cracked corn and just like my kids with the veggies they ate the good stuff and left the yucky stuff. well after a few days of this enough was enough (only because i had a 50 pound sack of pellets) i just threw out pellets well they ate them as if it was their last meal. now i throw out both and they eat it all up with no problem. i'm sure if you give them time they will eat them too, i mean really we are talking about animals that will eat everything that they can get their little beaks on.
thumbsup.gif

Every time I go outside my chickens come running, expecting a treat.
Obviously I'm not going to give them a treat every time they see me, so I started throwing them a handful of their layer pellets when they come begging.
They scarf them pellets up like they were the best thing since white bread.

Yep, my girls are pretty nonplussed by the pellets that are left out in their feeders all day (they do eat most of them by evening though) but if I go out there and offer a palm-ful of pellets to them, they fight each other to eat those very same pellets out of my hand!

Spoilt brats!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom