1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hens/roos is there an average ratio

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by no kill, Apr 5, 2009.

1. no kill

no kill New Egg

Oct 2, 2008
    Is there an average male to female ratio in chickens or is it 50/50?Getting ready to start hatching but i cant deal with 50 roosters

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I have hatched chicks for years, my ratio has been more like 60/40. The roosters being the 60%. Sorry. I eat my extra roosters.

3. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    I get far more roos than pullets in the 2 hatches I've had. The first hatch was 100% roos... the second I can tell I have 2 pullets so far.... mostly roos again though.

4. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    That is weird, i wonder why so many roos?

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    i will cry if i get that many..but ready for it..when we first got chickens as a gift for my girls last year-the family friend said he wasnt sure how many of each their were. We got 8 -5 were roos-we have 1 roo left and 3 hens-which lay eggs that melt in your mouth..right now I have 13 of their eggs in the bator-praying at 3 of those are pullets-the roos will be for meat..has anyone has a batch that was mostly pullets? if so how many eggs did you start with-you know what I find hard when the chicks have died in the egg and you dont know what sex they were-I think ahhh that was probably a pullet!!!

6. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    maybe his girls favor boys! the way things work with chickens it is the female's chromozomes that determine the sex of the offspring.

i always have one roo for every 5 hens and i get a pretty goof fertility rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by