Hens, roosters, ducks, and drakes

Brianna1985

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2020
We are beginners with chickens and ducks at first we wanted 6 hens but it ended up being 2 roosters and 4 hens In our backyard flock.
1 bantam- rooster
1 welsummer-rooster (dominant rooster)
2 blue Plymouth- hens
image.jpg

2 white leghorns- hens
(chickens turn about 16 weeks July 17)
2 Pekin ducks- 1 drake 1 hen (turn About 10 weeks July 19)
image.jpg

I don’t know if having 2 small breed roosters effects anything, but our problem is that the welsummer crows all day everyday and we live in a neighborhood so we don’t want to disturb anyone ive been spraying him with water when he crows but he tried to attack me. We want to try anything else possible before we get the collar. Our other rooster almost never crows and when he does you can barely hear it, also he doesn’t mind the ducks and sometimes fights the welsummer rooster. He also attacks the ducks the chickens and ducks will share a run but will have their own coops so they need to get along. And we want to keep our flock as small as possible without having to get rid of anyone.
MY QUESTIONS ARE
how can I stop the rooster from crowing?
is my rooster just bored?
do I need to get more hens for my roosters? How many?
do I need to get more ducks for my drake? How many?
how do I get the chickens and ducks to get along?
Do you have any tips or tricks?

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Roosters crow whenever that feel like it. Clearly spraying your senior rooster with a hose is a bad idea. The presence of the other boys can encourage more crowing.
Crow collars have killed many a rooster. I would rehome before using one.
You also cannot make the ducks and chickens get along. If you think about how some people just grate on you then picture that you are forced to spend all day with them in a small room. Imagine the tension that would build. It wouldn't be so bad if you were in a very large room where you could avoid each other. Same with birds.

We are beginners with chickens and ducks at first we wanted 6 hens but it ended up being 2 roosters and 4 hens In our backyard flock.
1 bantam- rooster
1 welsummer-rooster (dominant rooster)
2 blue Plymouth- hensView attachment 2243318
2 white leghorns- hens
(chickens turn about 16 weeks July 17)
2 Pekin ducks- 1 drake 1 hen (turn About 10 weeks July 19)
View attachment 2243330
I don’t know if having 2 small breed roosters effects anything, but our problem is that the welsummer crows all day everyday and we live in a neighborhood so we don’t want to disturb anyone ive been spraying him with water when he crows but he tried to attack me. We want to try anything else possible before we get the collar. Our other rooster almost never crows and when he does you can barely hear it, also he doesn’t mind the ducks and sometimes fights the welsummer rooster. He also attacks the ducks the chickens and ducks will share a run but will have their own coops so they need to get along. And we want to keep our flock as small as possible without having to get rid of anyone.
MY QUESTIONS ARE
how can I stop the rooster from crowing?
is my rooster just bored?
do I need to get more hens for my roosters? How many?
do I need to get more ducks for my drake? How many?
how do I get the chickens and ducks to get along?
Do you have any tips or tricks?

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Back
Top Bottom