Hens sleeping a lot!

Apr 3, 2023
Caddo Mills ,Tx
We have 4 hens about 7 months old. 4 Guineas about 3 months old. We have had the chickens for a month and the guineas since they were 2 days old. This is the second week of being let out a few hours at a time. They have a coop to roost in at night and free range a few hours in the day. There is 1 hen who will leave the coop but then sleeps standing up or lays on her side. She doesn’t seem to be sick and no one pecks on her she just won’t explore with the others who stay close together. Will she snap out of this or what do you suggest to remedy this behavior? Her eyes look bright and her feathers look good. Red Star chicken. TIA

Are your hens laying yet? Is her comb purple? Molting and worms can cause tiredness sometimes.

There is 1 hen who will leave the coop but then sleeps standing up or lays on her side. She doesn’t seem to be sick and no one pecks on her she just won’t explore with the others who stay close together.
Sounds sick to me.
Is she eating and drinking OK.
Have you checked her over real good for lice/mites?

Are your hens laying yet? Is her comb purple? Molting and worms can cause tiredness sometimes.
They were laying according to the place we got them, we have had them a month and gotten 5 eggs from 4 hens. I’ve had surgery so I’ll have to ask my husband about the comb. We haven’t wormed them I know. Maybe that would be the next thing to do. Thanks for the response!

Sounds sick to me.
Is she eating and drinking OK.
Have you checked her over real good for lice/mites?
She’s eating and drinking fine, we did have to give her a cc of LA 200 after she got home. The breeder told us it would be a good idea bc she was transported over an hour to out place. I’ve had surgery and can’t go out there but I’ll have my husband check her for lice/mites. Thanks for the response!

Back
Top Bottom