1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens sleeping ontop one another

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tiffanyo, Jun 19, 2016.

1. tiffanyo

tiffanyo New Egg

May 31, 2016
    Hi BYC!

I have only had my hens for about a month and they are great! I have a simple wooden nesting box for my 3 hens in their coop, and they seem to really like it. Although the other night I noticed that all 3 hens were in the nesting box piled on top of each other in it. Is that normal? They were literally laying on top of one another.

The whole coop and run size is 13' X 8' so there is ample room for 3.

Just thought I would ask. Do I need more than one nesting box?

Thanks!
    Tiffany

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC [​IMG].
    You should consider posting an intro under the New Members forum to receive a proper welcoming.

Although 1 nest box should be adequate for up to 4 hens, sounds like adding a second one may help. But even with multiple choices many still prefer the same box. If you do add another nest, try to make it exactly the same as the first one - including the amount of privacy and dimness the first one has.

I have had 2 lay at the same time in the same nest, but never 3 [​IMG]. My concern is possible accidental breakage of those eggs if they are truly laying at the same time.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to our community - glad that you have joined us. Do you have a roost for them to sleep on? If so, make sure it is higher than your nesting boxes and block it off overnight. I can be a real pain if theres poop on your eggs! They may need a little training to use the roost, so just put them there on a night and repeat until they get the idea.

All the best
    CT

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You need to block off the nest boxes at night and train them to use the roost bars. Pooping in the nest boxes is not sanitary and birds do far better roosting up off the ground. The roost bars don't have to be high at all, even a few inches off the floor is fine, as long as they are up enough that when they poop, it falls away from their bodies. Nest boxes are for egg laying only. Get them all up on the bar at night before closing up, block off the nest boxes and first thing in the morning, make sure to open them up again incase they do need to lay. Young birds need to be trained not to sleep in the boxes. They will learn to roost eventually, it does come natural as they age.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours! :)

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. tiffanyo

tiffanyo New Egg

May 31, 2016
    Thank you so much! I didn't realize I really need a roost bar. I will build one today.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I simple 2x4, with the 4 side up is sufficient. :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you will let us know if their behavior improves - maybe they will love the roost - should be better than having hens pile up and maybe cause overheating.

9. tiffanyo

tiffanyo New Egg

May 31, 2016
    I finally finished the roost. Here is a picture. I will check on them tonight to see if they like it [​IMG]

10. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    Your hens should be fine and sleeping on each other should not pose a huge threat. All the best of luck to you and [​IMG]!
    Justin [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by