Hens stopped laying all at once?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RHewitt, Sep 15, 2009.

1. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

I was getting 12 to 15 eggs per day consistently and over the weekend they have stopped. I got no eggs on Sunday and only two on Monday. My flock consist of about 6 hens that are reaching 24 months and 18 hens that are anywhere from 6 to 9 months old. The weather here is 60's at night and 80's in the day. What are the possible cause? I know the older girls are not consistent but the young ones should not be moulting.

Any ideas?

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Change in seasons. The girls are getting ready for the cooler weather. It will be hit and miss on those eggs for at least a month. You will have some that use this time to molt while others are just building up a little extra weight for winter and can not afford to use their energy to make eggs.
    Don't sweat it. They will be back.
    Oh, this will happen in the again as well at some point. Maybe Feb or March. Don't be surprised. They just need a bit of rest every now and again.

3. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks Nadine! One more question does it happen all at once in a flock? Is that natural thing for them to stop all at once?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    These thread may help you. Two common causes of eggs stopping all of a sudden like this is that they are hiding a nest or you have an egg eater. It could be something else. Don't totally ignore the possibility that they are molting. It starts around the head and neck so may not be real noticable immediately but it will be pretty soon.

Virginia Tech – Stopped Laying
    http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/2902/2902-1097/2902-1097.pdf

Florida – Stopped Laying
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS029

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by