Hens stopped laying.

J. At ChicChalet

In the Brooder
May 10, 2018
Texas
I have a flock of about 25 Rhode Island Red hens and 1 rooster. I own a small chicken buisness and incubate my eggs.

But for the last 2 days they have not laid a single egg..

Can someone help me PLEASE?

Check the underside of their roosts tonight with a flashlight, if you see tiny tiny red dots moving around, its red roost mites and youll need to spray with permethryn spray tomorrow after removing all bedding and throwing the sealed beg into the trash. Repeat 6 days later. This time of year, if my birds stop laying, its from parasites every time. Also feed them extra protein if you find bugs, they sap the blood out of them like you wouldnt believe.

What are you feeding?
Might give them a dose of Sav-A-Chick electrolytes/vitamins to help with the heat.
They also could be getting ready to molt.
2 years old being... hatched in spring of 2016?
How are they housed...free range or confined to a run or...?
Could have had a predator scare that you are unaware of.

Check the underside of their roosts tonight with a flashlight, if you see tiny tiny red dots moving around, its red roost mites and youll need to spray with permethryn spray tomorrow after removing all bedding and throwing the sealed beg into the trash. Repeat 6 days later. This time of year, if my birds stop laying, its from parasites every time. Also feed them extra protein if you find bugs, they sap the blood out of them like you wouldnt believe.

Does it matter what kind of flashlight. A led or a regular bulb light, or I even have a red bulb light.

Back
Top Bottom