hens stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by riley, Sep 6, 2009.

1. riley

riley Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Mooers, NY
    all my hens are less than a year old and i was getting over 2 dozen eggs a day now i am only getting 4 or 5 eggs a day any ideas why

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

They're probably in the middle of a molt. Have to get ready for winter![​IMG]

3. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Were they recently really scared by something? That will cause a back-down in production. But its probably the season.
    I've learned so much from my hens. I used to think they started their production back up in spring, and quit in winter. But what they respond to is the length of the day. That means they might start to decline their production after June 21 (summer solstice) and pick up on it after December 21 (winter solstice). They know when the time is right to maximize the chances of survival for their babies. (should their eggs be fertile). My hens are getting old, and they're drop-off seems to get earlier and earlier.
    Some people put artificial lighting in their coops to "fool mother nature" in order to keep egg production up, but I like to give the girls a nice break in the winter.

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I bet they're laying in a secret nest somewhere. look around in every nook and cranny and under things and I bet you'll find a nest full of eggs!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other post they could be going through a molt, even a light one, or they are hiding their eggs or some change was made or something frightened them..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by