Hens suddenly picking on roo??

FeatherLace

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Waycross, Georgia
So I have a flock of 7 hens and 2 roos. One roo is a large Ayam Cemani, and the other a small rosecomb. The rosecomb was the dominant one. He would crow all day every day with his beautiful clear crow and he was always prancing around, but then I had an outbreak of fowl pox. I had to separate him and four of my hens from the others. Apparently this caused a dominance shift. After about a week of quarantine all of my flock showed fowl pox, which meant it was useless quarantining them so I just moved my chickens back. When reintroducing them I did so on neutral ground but they all loved each other once again. Except the roos. The cemani started trying to attack and mount the smaller roo, so I decided to separate my large roo and just give all the hens to my little one. But after a couple hours I realized I still hadn't heard my beutiful crow, and instead was hearing the ugly, fog horn like crow from the cemani. I went to check, and my poor little roo was huddled by himself away from all the others. The other cemani hens were jumping at him and pecking him, even though they've grown up together since day one and they'd always accepted him before. I put the big roo back with his hens and instead placed my rosecomb by himself and also placed my other rosecomb hen with him, because shes the only one who was still cuddling up to him and everything.

I want to see my boy do his prideful walk and crow all day again. It hurts me to see him so miserable, hes been my favorite out of the whole flock since I got them.
Is this due to the other rooster being in charge now? Is it just because hes sick? Please help!!

Once deposed in my experience a subordinated rooster never regains his position in the flock. It may be necessary to provide him his own flock and area.

Once deposed in my experience a subordinated rooster never regains his position in the flock. It may be necessary to provide him his own flock and area.
It was already planned to build them a coop/run thats separated with the cemanis on one side and the bantams on the other, its just not done quite yet. Do you think he will be my beautiful roo once more once he's just with the bantams?

Now big guy is hogging all the ladies while my favorite just has his other little rosie

Attachments

• 20200704_115458.jpg
    20200704_115458.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20200704_115437.jpg
    20200704_115437.jpg
    749.3 KB · Views: 5
Update: My roo seems really depressed now. Hes been sleeping a ton, wont get down from his roost to free range, etc. He's been wormed already, and he still has fowl pox but is receiving lots of electrolytes in his water and is getting plenty of food.

Please help, what can I do for him? Should I get him more hens of his own??

Back
Top Bottom