Hens suddenly stopped laying

Foxfarms158

Hatching
May 29, 2023
Our flock fell victim to predictors a few months back devastating my toddler. We found a local on craiglist with "laying hens" for sale and picked 5 more up that night to right and calm the tears. The pen they came from was full of a variety of other fowl and farm animals and tiny. After bring the new girls home they laid for about 4 days amd quit. The remnants from our original flock continued laying for a week and also stopped. We went 10 days without an egg and lost one of the new girls. I have wormed the whole flock, given corid, changed the feed, used vetrx, rooster booster and lucky layer. Only to get one of the new hens back to laying. Each strategy has been separated in timing from the others.

I am desperate for suggestions. I know the new girls came from less than desirable circumstances. Did I give them good food and fatten them too fast? Am I not treating the right disease? I am fairly new to chickens with only a year under my belt and a previously very healthy flock.

Birds in a new home may stop after a day or so. They will take to laying a bit.
Quit the meds gibe them some time please JMHO.
Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Hens lay when they are happy and healthy.

Your hens are probably stressed from all the changes, including the worming and additional members, plus new food. Did you slowly integrate the new hens to the old? If you didn't, that is also very likely to stress them out.

Give all of them time to adjust to the changes, and soon you will be having eggs coming out of your ears!

Back
Top Bottom