Hens that can't get along

jbaker

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
I guess I posted this in the wrong place, so I am trying to do it right this time.
SORRY!

We have 6 girls, our 3 originals, Silver-Laced Wyandottes and added a few weeks later 3 RIRs. I bought the RIRs from a local who met me with them in a box. I did not inspect the birds, (trusting soul trying not be jaded), and when I got home, one of them has one eye. Looks like she has never had an eye. No blood no sore. just no eye.
We named her Sally and Sally gets beat up any time she is in the coop. She has learned to fly out and has made her home outside the coop.
When my wife feeds in the am, Sally clucks until my wife opens the access door to the nest, Sally flies in, lays an egg, and clucks until my wife opens the door and lets her out. Sally steps onto my wifes arm and jumps down.
Can I do anything about the anti-social behavior from the rest of the flock, or am I doomed to having a pet hen with no feathers on the back of her head?

Also, my wife is finding some specks in some of our eggs. (In the egg not on the egg).
I say cook-em, but she spends a great deal of time making sure the speck is pulled out. Even trashes one occasionally if it has more than one or two. We have no rooster.
I feed a 16% layer pellet from the local co-op and the girls seem to like it.
Should I be alarmed by this? Is there anything I can do?
thanks for your help
jb

Eggs sometimes do have specks in them. I usually pick them out as I don't like the look of them. The only thing that you can do with a bullied hen is to put her into a separate area where she can see the others, until things have calmed down, and then reintroduce her under supervision at a later date and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom