Hens & Toms?

OldNewFarmer

Hatching
Mar 17, 2023
Hello, Long story short, I had what I thought were two hens, two others died before they reached adulthood, so I don't know what they were, but they began squatting whenever I came around, and following me, almost into my house. I found out that they have basically imprinted on me and so I wanted to get a Tom, to hopefully give them an option. I just got the Tom yesterday, but so far today one of my (Hens) has been fighting with him. I also saw that the (Hen) fighting with a couple of Roosters off and on over the past few weeks (they were raised together and always hangout together as well). The fights aren't vicious, and usually only last a few minutes, then they go back to roaming and feeding. Now that I see the (Hen) fighting with the Tom I am wondering if it is in fact a Tom. The two I thought were Hens are nearly identical, and both walk up to me and squat.... so, I am not sure. I didn't think a Tom would behave that way. Any ideas?

Hello, Long story short, I had what I thought were two hens, two others died before they reached adulthood, so I don't know what they were, but they began squatting whenever I came around, and following me, almost into my house. I found out that they have basically imprinted on me and so I wanted to get a Tom, to hopefully give them an option. I just got the Tom yesterday, but so far today one of my (Hens) has been fighting with him. I also saw that the (Hen) fighting with a couple of Roosters off and on over the past few weeks (they were raised together and always hangout together as well). The fights aren't vicious, and usually only last a few minutes, then they go back to roaming and feeding. Now that I see the (Hen) fighting with the Tom I am wondering if it is in fact a Tom. The two I thought were Hens are nearly identical, and both walk up to me and squat.... so, I am not sure. I didn't think a Tom would behave that way. Any ideas?
Peckiing order issues. Your hen is trying to put the tom in his place. This is normal behavior when you bring a new turkey into the flock.

Back
Top Bottom