Hens tormenting my bantam! Anything I can do?!?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by l1ttle01, Aug 30, 2016.

1. l1ttle01

l1ttle01 Just Hatched

Feb 17, 2016
    Washington
    We have have 10 chickens, 9 of which are normal chickens, and one bantam. Up until a week ago we had a rooster, but unfortunately we had to get rid of him. He was destroying our flock! Everyone was bald, and he was too aggressive. We got rid of him, and now all of the hens are picking on Sadie the bantam chicken we have. They seem to have done something to her eye, and she stays inside the coop every day while they run around outside. I can hear her screaming when they are pecking her. I feel so bad, and I'm not sure what to do about this?? They were alone with her before the rooster, and never seemed to bother her. I'm thinking about getting her one of the small coops to separate her from the rest of the flock. But then I'm not sure if she'd be OK alone, or if that wouldn't be good for her either?? Any advise you can give would be appreciate it. I hate what they are doing to her, and it breaks my heart. She is the sweetest girl, but I'm just unsure of the b.est way to stop it!

[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Separation and getting her a couple of bantams pals would be what i would do in your circumstances

1 person likes this.
  3. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    The rooster would've been protecting Sadie, making sure no one got picked on (a great reason to have a rooster as they keep the peace but if your boy was too aggressive then you did the right thing getting rid of him). But removing him has upset the pecking order and your poor little bantam is now the target as she will be bottom of the heap. You must separate her. Bantams shouldn't be kept with large breeds. I have 6 bantams in with 4 very docile light breeds and everyone gets along but I would never put bantams in with heavy breeds. They are just too big and bossy. Please take her out, even if she has to live inside with you for awhile as she will need company. Get her some friends her own size or rehome her to someone with bantams. The bigger chickens could easily kill her.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have a Bantam also living with ten regular sized hens....You removed the Rooster and changed the pecking order..as soon as one is removed or one is added? it changes the the entire pecking order for a few weeks...

Do what you think, I say they will work out the pecking order...

5. farmgirllvo

farmgirllvo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    I had one frizzle hen and the roster beat up on her all the time, the other hens do as well now. I got three more frizzles and that helped a little. I'd say get rid of her or separate her and get her friends, or maybe a bantam roster to protect her, you have to make sure he likes her first tho.

6. l1ttle01

l1ttle01 Just Hatched

Feb 17, 2016
    Washington
    Thanks everyone. I'm in the process of fixing her own separate space now. I've been letting the chickens out as early as possible to get them out, and away from her. I can section off the back part of the coop, and I will get her some friends that are more her size. She's the sweetest girl, and I hate to see her picked on. Hoping it works out! Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by