Hens using nest boxs as roost

Quote:
It is a big deal to me. Sometimes if I am later than usual to go out and open the coop door, some hens have already laid their eggs. A few no-so-bright ones will lay right on top of the poo in a dirty box and to me, that egg is wasted after its been covered in poo. It goes to the dogs.
Plus, it means that I have to clean out the hay in the box and start with fresh, even if I've just changed the hay the day before.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm an early bird- very rare for anyone to lay before I get out there. I wear garden gloves and just pick the poop out and put in my compost bucket...my boxes have wood chips in them- once the poop is gone, they look fine.

Quote:
It is a big deal to me. Sometimes if I am later than usual to go out and open the coop door, some hens have already laid their eggs. A few no-so-bright ones will lay right on top of the poo in a dirty box and to me, that egg is wasted after its been covered in poo. It goes to the dogs.
Plus, it means that I have to clean out the hay in the box and start with fresh, even if I've just changed the hay the day before.

I feel the same way. I can't stand poopy eggs and none of my layers poops in the nesting boxes, so I'll be darned if the unproductive ones are going to ruin the party!

That is such a coincidence! I have new Marans and one of them uses the nest box to roost in. Well, not all night, just when she goes in and then
the other three who use the perch encourage her up. The male cock perches on the inside window sill.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom