Hens using only 1 nest!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shastagoose, Jul 14, 2008.

1. shastagoose

shastagoose Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    My hens have an excellent coop. I built a nice nesting shelf with 3 nests, with no dividers. They only use one. Is there a way to get them to use all 3? Should I put dividers in between? I'm frustrated, because one of my hens refuses to share, and sits all day, making it rough for the others to lay... BUT THEY HAVE 2 MORE AWESOME CLEAN NESTS TO USE!!!!!!! Any suggestions?

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Mine all use the same nest as well. I guess it is their favorite. You could try to put wooden eggs there to show them they can lay there as well.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Aren't they silly??

They just want to lay where there already is another hen sitting - mine will do the same thing - ignore the open 3 boxes and fuss and nag until the other hen gets out of the one and they can get in.

Somedays they all lay on the left hand side boxes. The next day the right hand boxes - go figure.

Anyway, the golf balls or fake eggs in the box can help encourage them to try the other boxes, but no guarantees...

4. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Post a picture!!!

5. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Mine do the same thing too. And I have noticed they will switch around, one week in one box, another week in a different box. I have 6 boxes, one that has never been used at all. I don't have an open nesting set-up though so Dividers might help. It won't hurt.

Let us know what happens.

Anne

6. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    You can try a divider but I suspect they will behave the same way.....Mine all use the same one too.

7. sadie423

sadie423 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2008
    I am wondering the same thing- we have 23 chickens. 6 nest boxes. 1 uses the bag of bedding in the storage area, one lays under a table their water bucket is in, and 1 lays in the middle bottom row (3 nests stacked on 3 nests). Everyone else lays in the middle top. Sometimes I go in there and there will be 3 chickens stuffed in 1 12x12 space yelling at eachother. Only about 15 are currently laying- but its just going to get worse. They do check out the others but never stay. Maybe I'll put the fake eggs back in the unused boxes.

Sarah

8. beckyloveschicks

beckyloveschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    NC
    Mine do the same thing. I have 5 nice boxes and they all were using the same. I mean, these silly hens would literally stand in line to get to the box. So I put golf balls in all the nests and lo and behold, one started using another nest. But the others still stand in line for the one.

9. mcfarlandteresa

mcfarlandteresa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    You know mine do the same thing. I have 12 nests built in my coop on top but they lay on the ground in the bottom. And they don't lay in the mornings. It's after I leave for work and come home about 1 pm there's an egg in the bottom every other day. Only got one hen laying now but the others should start anytime.

10. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Mine do the same thing! I have a broody hen right now and the other two hens would literally go sit almost completly on top of her and lay an egg! She would just scoop it up under her, which is how I ended up with eggs hatching 1 weekly, none of them are at the same stages! Crazy Chickens lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by