Hens weaned chickens once rooster was introduced again into the same pen

Chelsea2991

Hatching
Nov 11, 2023
Hello, I’m just curious if anyone else has had this happen, but I had my hen and her 10 chicks segregated when she was hatching/raising them and I decided to re-introduce the rooster and let them out into the big yard since this happened, the hen has taken zero interest in the chickens, and has now just run off with the rooster, I decided to lock her back in with her babies but she began chasing them around peaking them. So I actually locked her out and just let her go with the rooster. Has anyone witness this the chickens are 4 weeks old. I
Also let her other hen friends out with her and the rooster but the two hens began to fight so again separated!

Just from observing my flock....I figured out that hens will do their "due" part in raising their chicks...but whenever momma hen thinks they are grown enough...she will begin to "shun" them and even be hateful to get them to go out on their own....like she wants then to grow up and stop following her around. She believes they are not kids anymore. I think the reason she is diplaying this behavior and running off with the rooster, is because her first "clutch" is grown and out of the "house"....So now she can have fun with the rooster and work on the next batch of chicks. Vicious Cycle.......but not so vicious if the hen raises more and more chicks.

Back
Top Bottom