Hens with bald backs getting bitten by something

Avrilon

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 2, 2007
Georgia Mountains
Several of my hens have bare backs because of our rooster's mating. He is now gone and the hens are much happier, but I think they're getting bug bites on their bare backs now. They're not scratching, but I've noticed some small red spots. Is there something I can put on their backs to prevent bug bites? We have tiny bugs here called No-see-ums because they're so small you barely see them. They bite me and I'm thinking they could also bit the hens. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Several of my hens have bare backs because of our rooster's mating. He is now gone and the hens are much happier, but I think they're getting bug bites on their bare backs now. They're not scratching, but I've noticed some small red spots. Is there something I can put on their backs to prevent bug bites? We have tiny bugs here called No-see-ums because they're so small you barely see them. They bite me and I'm thinking they could also bit the hens. Any suggestions? Thanks!
We have the 'no see ums' here at the coast. Rooster Booster Black Salve or Blu Kote may help. A very thin coat of vaseline may help as well. Avon Skin So Soft will work for humans but I dont recommend it for chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom