Hens with discolored unhealthy looking feathers

Nanfito4

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 14, 2011
I have three Americauna / Rock mixed hens and one black unknown breed. We have raised these hens since they were 4 weeks. The three mixed hens have strange unhealthy looking feathers on their wings. The feathers look scrawny, are light brown, and thin. It looks as though the skeleton of the feathers remain but the fluffy bits of the feathers has been removed. Then hen with the most disolored feathers is smaller than the other hens. The hens are not picking at themselves and there is minimal feather loss. The discoloration started with one hen and has spread to the other hens. The black hen does not have any feather discoloration.

We initially thought they had fleas and treated the coup with poultry dust. This has not made a difference in the appearance of the feathers. The hens combs and wattles look very red and healthy. The hens are not lethargic and the poop appears normal.

In regards to their housing, the hens are free range during the day and in the coop at night. They have not started laying eggs yet and are still on a diet of whatever they eat in the yard and starter feed.

The hen with the most discolored feathers has started to crow at sunrise.

This is our first time raising chickens. I will post pictures once my camera is charged.

Updated: I took some photos however, due to being a new member I am not able to post them. Sorry!

Last edited:
Could they be molting? Mine look really scraggy right now since they are in the middle of a molt. Oh, and Welcome to BYC
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

What color is the discoloration??

Maybe they are moulting. Up the protein?? Give them vit supliments. Fungus, Lice, Mites?? Have you wormed them yet?? Can't remember off hand , but one of the wormers can cause wierd feather growth.

You could go to the new members thread (find in the index) and welcome them to BYC.....to get enough posts to enable you to put pics up.

There are a lot of feathers in the coop and around the yard. Might to moulting.

I will look into vitamin supplements. I have thought about their diets. This is good info.

Thanks for the help. I will work on getting my posts up!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom