Hens with feathers missing on their backs, though it was from the roo

Milliemay

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Southwest Wisconsin
I have some hens that are missing feathers on their backs. We thought it was from our roo, but he has been gone (RIP Roy, you big meany!) for a few months now. It is mainly on their backs, they are healthy otherwise, no signs of parasites, etc. thought they were molting, but they never went any farther than the feathers on the back. Maybe it has to do with the pecking order?? Thanks in advance, and if I posted in the wrong spot, sorry, didn't think it was an emergency.....

I have a hen like that too! A RIR. We just got rid of the rooster, so we'll see if the feathers grow back, but I have noticed blotches for quite a while now, and not just where a rooster would peck. It could have been him, but I've thought maybe she had a skin condition. There are no bald spots, just whitish areas where it looks like the feathers have been thinned or something. She's the only one of the 4 hens who has blotches.

Anxious to see replies to your post.

Does it look like new plucking area?

I have some older hens I rescued that have that and once they were being fed they put on weight and feathered nicely except for areas on their backs. I thought of it as scar tissue due to the roos really tore them up, that feathers could not grow back on. Maybe I have been wrong all this time.

Hmmmm, anyone else have any ideas? It is in the same spot on my hens, and not all the hens have it, must be from the roo, they must have been his choice girls .......

Interested to see if anyone else has any answers, thanks in advance!

My rooster has been gone for months now and some of the back and wing feathers have not grown back but will grow back after they molt

Last edited:
I have a similar problem, roos were re-homed in June and 2 of the 4 hens are missing sections of feathers on their backs and one a lot on her neck. Any treats/feed we can give them to foster feather growth?

I'm not sure, but I think one of my BR hens may have had a bad reaction to permethrin-base poultry dust. She had the feathers off her back within a few days of treatment. I cleaned her up and kept her coated with Blue-Kote until it healed. About the time her wounds started looking pretty good, I treated them again. The next day she was all torn up again. I've stopped using the dust for now and she looks great.

I was coming here to complain about the same thing! One of my BA hens is missing all her feathers on her back. We don't have a roo and the rest of the girls are just fine. I first thought it was from the neighbors roo but he's been gone for a couple months now and she's not any better. Perfectly happy and healthy though other than her bald spot. If it's from pecking then maybe a saddle would be helpful?? Or something??
hu.gif

It gets darn cold here in the winter and I've told her this has to stop or she'll be a very unhappy lady in a few months!

So, I'm
pop.gif
with interest!

Back
Top Bottom