Hen's won't go broody

JCW0743716600

Chirping
Sep 8, 2018
I have pecan bantams and my hen's are laying a healthy amount of eggs but just not going broody my nesting boxes are full and they just keep laying ? It's winter in South Africa at the moment could this be the cause?

In most cases you can’t force a hen to go broody. You can try to encourage broodiness my placing eggs in a darkish nice place to nest, but that doesn’t mean you hens will go broody. How cold is your winter? My winters are pretty cold therefore I’ve never had a hen go broody in the winter. But the temperatures were as cold as -20 degrees Fahrenheit

In most cases you can’t force a hen to go broody. You can try to encourage broodiness my placing eggs in a darkish nice place to nest, but that doesn’t mean you hens will go broody. How cold is your winter? My winters are pretty cold therefore I’ve never had a hen go broody in the winter. But the temperatures were as cold as -20 degrees Fahrenheit
Hi Thank you for your reply our winters are nowhere near as cold as yours our coldest day this winter was aound 18 degrees celcius. I am thinking of removing the eggs each nest has 22+ eggs in them but none of the hen's seem intrested in sitting, maybe I should just wait till spring and try again. I have 6 hens & two roosters .

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-11 180928.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-11 180928.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 3
I would re arrange the nest boxes and where they are. Try and have a nest box for each. You'll find that they have a favourite one that they all try and lay in. This can make it harder for one to settle down and become broody. If one starts laying at a different new location you might find she'll become broody when she has a little bunch of eggs gathered up. Pecans are great for going broody, so once they do they won't stop 😂

Back
Top Bottom