1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens won't go out in the snow!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Danaashh, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Danaashh

Danaashh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    My girls won't go outside in their run because of the snow and I don't know what to do. We received over 18inches of snow since Sunday and I've cleaned some of it out but they still won't get off of their ramp. Any ideas

2. Danaashh

Oct 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    It may take some time for them to get used to it, just clear as much of it away as possible from the ramp and run and they will venture out especially if you tempt them with some treats, mine didn't like snow much either whenever we got some that is!

4. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011

Why do you feel that you must make them go out in snow when they don't want to?

5. angi

angi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    northeast, IN
    I have had birds that will go out in the snow and now I have a flock that particularly does not care for it. They get their sunlight through the windows and I keep the henhouse clean so they are ok indoors.

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    My birds do the same. Now, if I clear the ramp and the area around it real good, Some of them will come out. But, if they want to stay in, just let them stay in.

[​IMG]

7. Danaashh

Oct 22, 2013
    Oh, I don't want to make them go outside! It's just funny because they used to spend all their time outside. They've seemed very grumpy the last couple of days. Their run isn't finished... The door isn't actually a door yet... Just a screwed on board... So getting in there has been a challenge. I actually went home today and went inside their coop and managed to toss some hay outside and most of them quickly went out... I don't blame them... I wouldn't want my toes in the snow either!

8. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I had posted similar observations in a previous thread. What some others suggested was putting straw/hay down on the snow, it worked great for me. The girls now go out into the snow to scratch through the straw.

9. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    You can start by sweeping that snow off of their ramp. [​IMG]

I shovel snow out of the run and add straw occasionally. I also give the birds cracked corn in the run and they gladly come out for treats! Mine also tend to hang around inside the coop with snow on the ground. A spacious coop has advantages when the birds hangout inside for long periods of time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. gailmaison

gailmaison Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2013
    I'm grumpy when there is snow on the ground too !!! Usually November to April here..... :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by