Her? She? Her? She? Him!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickenmum, Dec 10, 2008.

1. chickenmum

chickenmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Here is another story.
    I did a bunch of Scots Dumpy eggs in an incubator. Only one hatched, and got named Hershey. I took "her" to the county fair. The judge told me it was a male!![​IMG]
    Well, that happened a while ago. Has that ever happened to you?[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How old was Hershey?

3. chikncrazyintx

chikncrazyintx Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well, that must have been embarrassing.

It is really neat that you are raising the Scots Dumpys! Any chance you'll be selling hatching eggs?

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a story of why I try to go to more real shows than fairs. It wasn't embarressing for me but I was embarressed for the judge!

The judge was doing health checks before our birds went into the fair grounds as usual and I handed him my mille fleur d'Uccle PULLET. He looks it over and then goes "Is this a cock or a cockerel?" I almost LOLed right in front of him, I had to cough to hide it. "Uh that's a pullet" He just kinda went "oh" and put it back in my box! [​IMG] [​IMG] The roosters and hens look QUITE different! [​IMG] Oh well

5. chickenmum

chickenmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Wow. You would think that a poultry judge would know![​IMG]

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:He obviously wasn't a real judge. I won't be showing at that fair again, to be sure! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by