Herbaceous predators

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by StrawberryMoon, Jun 6, 2017.

1. StrawberryMoon

StrawberryMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2016
    Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question. If not, I apologise. I am new to chickens and my first chicks (Faverolles) are four weeks old now. I have settled on a movable coop and run system so they can tour all around my 10 acre property while being reasonably well protected from predators. My big concern is poisonous plants. I have been studying up on plants that are poisonous to chickens and which ones I have on my property. I'll go through each time I move the run and try to rid the area of these plants. But what if I miss one? Do they have any sense of what they shouldn't be eating? Is there any forgiveness in this at all, or if I miss one small hemlock seedling will they eat it and die?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most animals won't eat poisonous plants, they tend to not taste well. I wouldn't worry unless it was the only thing they were being fed, or had access to. I have what's considered poisonous plants all over the place and none of my animals have been poisoned. I believe it happens by extreme accident, or because the animals aren't being fed enough so they will eat anything. I personally wouldn't worry about it.

StrawberryMoon likes this.
  3. StrawberryMoon

StrawberryMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2016
    Thank you, that's great news! Do you know which poisonous plants you have? I wonder if some are more appealing than others. I have pokeweed, American nightshade, and poison hemlock.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I know we have lots of nightshade, and I have grown Monkshood, and foxglove, to name a few intentionally planted poisonous plants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by