Here are the Ducklings!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bantymum, Sep 16, 2007.

1. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Well she hatched out 14. all very healthy.
    The daddy duck was in the run with them and when mumma went to take them for their first swim he threw a duckling into the water which gave a new meaning to "being thrown in the deep end" anyhow I evicted him from the run and he isnt going back in until they grow!
    [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh my GOODNESS!! They are soooo tiny!! Lookie at the cuteness!! Thanks for shareing the pic! Mean old daddy duck! LOL

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Congrats on the babies, they are so cute [​IMG]

4. bantymum

Just wondering, i havent noticed them eating alot.
    Ive got a saucer with dry turkey starter and a saucer with the same but wetted with water. also a bowl of chicken mix for mumma, and some bits of bread in the water, weeds and grass bits thrown into pond too. anything else that they would go ape over. Help

5. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    Yeah--my goosies ate SO MUCH when they were little. It's because they grow so much faster than chickens. I presume this is similar to ducks.

Mine really liked the starter dry; not sure why, and then they would go soak their heads in the water--or they like it sopping wet (literally pools of water in the middle). I don't think they start to eat grass until they are about a week old, and after that it has to be cut up really short

They're so cute! Post more pics! [​IMG]

6. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Mum.... CONGRATS!!!!!!! They are just so adorable!!! I am so much looking forward to next year and having some new babies myself!!!

Wierd question, could the one that daddy duck threw in the water have been a drake? Just a thought. But I agree... mean ol daddy

7. bantymum

Yes I would say that he was a drake, he only tried to grab 2 so hopefully there are only 2 drakes!!!
    He didnt injure them, thank goodness.
    He is definately staying outside the run, he has his own swimming pool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by