Here comes the blizzard!!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by 77horses, Dec 27, 2010.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    While the wind is howling and the snow is being blown everywhere outside, Ivory and his three pullets are safe and warm in their coop. [​IMG] They got one glimpse at the storm outside when I opened their door this morning, and they decided they wanted to stay inside their coop and didn't dare step foot in the deep-and still deepening-snow. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now, we're just waiting it out...It's been snowing all night and the wind is really strong. I was worried it might knock a tree over onto the coop during the night! [​IMG] But, thankfully, the coop is still intact and all the chickens are safe. [​IMG]

Hope everyone stays safe during this blizzard, whoever else is experiencing it right now! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    We are in the middle of it! The girls didn't even want to come out to eat! Poor things! Time to break out the snowblower and shovels!

Keep safe!

3. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:It's gonna be a chore to have to shovel a path to the coop and then shovel out the caged run area. [​IMG]

And while mine will eat their food despite the blizzard, I think it scared them into not laying an egg today because one of the pullets started laying yesterday, and I didn't get an egg today. [​IMG] So maybe she's too terrified of the blizzard and all the snow to lay her egg. [​IMG]

4. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    We got almost a foot of snow just east of Raleigh, NC. My runs are caving in! [​IMG]

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:[​IMG] That's the worst! Last year, I had a sturdy, nice run built, with a roof and everything, that was large enough for the chickens to roam in (no matter what the weather), and good for keeping them safe from predators. It was perfect. But last winter, despite the fact that we built it so the roof was slanted (so snow, rain, etc. would slide off), snow still collected on top and one day it all collapsed in. [​IMG] Thankfully, no chickens were outside in the run at that time. [​IMG]
    We are also in danger of the garage roof caving in. A tree fell on it a couple weeks ago and cracked it, but didn't collapse it, and we've been trying to repair it. But this blizzard is getting in the way now and I'm worried that the weight of the snow that will collect on top of the roof will be too much for it. The worst part is we have a coop built inside the garage, too! [​IMG] So I'm hoping it holds up until this blizzard is over so we can continue repairing it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by