Here comes the FLOOD!

jenjscott

Mosquito Beach Poultry
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Southeast Arkansas
Just checked the river forecast and they have changed from 37 feet to 47 feet. I take my readings at Arkansas City, the closest river reading to my house. In 2008 it went to about 46. You see, we actually live between the levee and the Mississippi River. So when the river comes up the Arkansas and Mississippi river flow under my house. We had chickens on the porch etc. Since then we bought a place nearby where we can move everything we need to get out of the flood area. I have already started moving some of my chickens, they will be going to "The Annex" on a permanent basis, but now I am going to have to put a move on! Right now thel reading is at about 33 and the water is above the retaining wall on the creek and starting up the sidewalk leading to the boat dock. The swinging bridge over the creek still has a little free space under it, but will soon be floating.

Here is the barn in the yard in 2008. The house had about 4 feet of water under it. To the right of the barn you can see the top of a persimmon tree and the muscadine vineyard.

flooded barn by jenjscott, on Flickr

Im watching the news about all the flooding and evacuations here in Missouri,sure glad Im not close to any flood areas...
Good luck...

Last edited:
Well, this is why our house is built 13 feet up in the air. Our problem is DH and I are both accumulators. At about 42 feet, we have to start boating in and out. I'm not sure if we'll do that this year, or stay at the house at the other place. It's really neat when the water is up as long as its not raining. We boat to the front staircase, trotline for catfish right down the creek, watch everthing we didn't move or tie down float away. Its kind of like living on a houseboat for a few weeks. We've got a little more notice this year than we had in '08, so we should be able to get everything taken care of (I hope!).

We've spent the last several days moving things out to the Annex. The water started flowing across the foundation of the neighbor's house yesterday morning, The water coming from the woods and flowing down into the creek, which is slightly behind that coming through the woods. That will probably be leveled out by this morning. IT is starting to creep up to the edges of the yard here at our house. The Suspension bridge is completely floating and the duck finally has all the water he wants.

Most of the chickens are moved, we got the main coop moved and today we will be getting the fences pulled down and moved also. Night before last several neighbors showed up with trailers and trucks to help. I don't know what I would have done without them. One friend used to raise chickens and still has empty pens and offered a place for most of my chickens until we can get the pens moved and set up. That means I will be able to keep my breeding groups separate.

The fields are full and deer, wild pigs, and turkeys escaping the flood waters. Well, today's help is showing up, I better go get busy!

We live near the White River in Indiana and it is flooded too. Flood is something you live with once in awhile because the benefit of living near the river excedes the danger of flood once every couple of years or longer or more often. We now have a lake instead of a cornfield and the planting season will be delayed but oh well. We so call "river rats" enjoy the fishing and hunting that our area has to offer us year round. Not to mention the breath taking views and spotting bald eagles raising their eagles near our home and watching the fawns taking their first steps when they are born behind my house. I will stay hear for the rest of my life. Yes the flood is bad everywhere this year. The damage will be great but we are all pretty used to it.

Glad to hear you neighbors are as friendly and helpfull there as our area. We all work together to get through it!
love.gif

Thought I would post a couple of water coming up pics. In the first pic the arrow shows the water line from the 2008 high water.

10901_beulah_house.jpg

Taken Sunday May 1, 2011 6:30 am
10901_beulah_house_1.jpg

Taken Sunday May 1, 2011 6:08 pm
10901_beulah_house_2.jpg

Well, they finally made the update on the forecast and it is for 53.5 ft on the Arkansas City river gage on the 14th. This is no longer fun. That puts 11.5 feet aprox under the house, 18 inches from in the house, the floor of which is 13 ft above the foundation. We always said the levee would break before it got in the house. I hope we don't have to find out. The house in the pics will probably be completely submerged. Here is another pic taken at 6:30 tonight, May 2. 2011. Sorry for the poor quality, by the time I realized it was blurred, it was too dark to get another.

10901_beulah_house_3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom