here comes the poop???

Alright I took a closer look at the poop.
ep.gif
It really looks like it is grit but it is smaller pieces of it. I dont think it is berry seeds. I dont give them berrys too often and there isnt really anything around where they free range that has seeds like that.

This morning I fed them some yogurt. All I had was dannon vanilla. I know it has sugar but I only gave them 3oz, then I mixed it with a few ounces of cottage cheese. They seemed to like that very much. I think they liked the curds the best.

I replenished their grit and oyster bowl. Do they go through this stuff so quickly? I also threw some scratch down on the ground maybe like 3 handfuls. I crushed up the clean eggshells from their scrambled eggs yesterday, and gave that to them too.

I put two of them in the portable run and two I left in the run of the coop. They were separated for 5 hours.

I was re-reading your note, do you think their digestive tract is running to fast? Is that something that can be fixed? Or does it need to be fixed?

Quote:
I don't 'think it's really a big deal to once-in-a-while feed the yogurt without any bits in it.
smile.png
Cottage cheese is nice for protein. Are they really eating that much of it? lol Well what the heck. They don't often but they will if they think they need it.

I do still think maybe their system is running a bit fast. But now I wonder if there's a mineral need they need? It wouldn't hurt to do the yogurt for a week, possiblyl add Nutridrench (for poultry) or a regular chicken vitamin/mineral supplement and see if there's something in the minerals that they're wanting. That's not unheard of.

I don't think it's a really bad problem, but the more fast nutrients run through, the less time nutrients have to soak in.

Maybe just give them less grit now? And try again after a few days of vitamins/minerals in their water. Now at least you know they have grit! lol

Just wanted to check in..
frow.gif

Hens are doing well. They are not eating poop anymore. Yippie!

They have oyster shells and grit free choice. They are put in the portable run everyday which they love. Their eggs are beautiful!

Thank you Threehorses for all of your help! My girls and I thank you for your expertise.
clap.gif

Quote:
I'm so glad to hear the good news! And particularly that they're no longer eating poop.
smile.png
Yay!

thanks for the update, phillyfarmer.
big_smile.png
I'm glad to have been of assistance, and am willing to do so again any time.

Back
Top Bottom